Records concerning the formation of a Village Club and erection of a Public Hall date back to 1912. All such schemes were set aside due to the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. In 1919 a meeting agreed to create a Village Hall as a memorial to those of the parish who had died in the conflict. A major problem was the acquisition of a central location.
A site, behind the extant Post Office, was eventually acquired at a cost of £200.00, Building Plans where finally approved in January 1920. The rest of that year was spent in raising funds. In December a tender, from H.J & A. Wright, of £1,985 was accepted. The foundation stone was laid by the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire, The Marquis of Lincolnshire, on 12 May 1921 and the Institute opened on the 29 September 1921.
The need for improved facilities soon became apparent and various schemes were proposed to enlarge the Hall. The only result was the purchase, for £500.00, of land in front of the hall for vehicular access and a garden. The Centre was held in trust and managed by various bodies until 1957. In that year the land and building were transferred to the Parish Council and a management committee appointed to operate the Centre and consider future developments. A grand scheme was proposed in 1962 that envisaged the demolition and rebuilding of the Centre to include recreational halls, library, courts and infant facilities. This scheme did not proceed as it was not possible to raise the construction costs of £20,000.
In 1971 Developers purchased the site, now occupied by Co-Operative Food. With the funds released the Parish Council constructed the present building, together with the library, on part of the Bury Fields. Whilst the building and freehold is owned by the Parish Council the operation and internal upkeep of the Centre is in the hands of a charity.